BoCA Sub21 is a participatory and experimental project that was born in the first edition of the BoCA contemporary arts biennial in 2017, which takes place every year for about 2 months and in which a group of young people follows the biennial programme and the questions that may arise from it. In 2023, two groups will be formed, each meeting in one of the cities of the 4th edition of BoCA: Lisbon or Faro.
1. We are looking for free souls who haven’t been around for more than 21 years and who believe that the voice of a generation can transform the world through micro, small, medium and simple opportunities.
2. We invite these restless minds to be part of a critical and authorial platform – of observation and creation – that not only lives within a transdisciplinary and challenging arts biennial but also borrows from it the stimulus to cross visual arts, performing arts, performance, music, embroidery, literature or gardening…
3. With this group we intend to design a laboratory in progress, where artistic exchange and continuous sharing of a space for meeting, learning and crossing are experienced, where all profiles of people are welcome.
4. We understand this invitation – which materialises through thinking sessions and creative challenges – as a space of possibility for “things” to happen, with the group deciding which “things” they will be.
5. We want to hear you and we want to find out what it is to be a spectator. Between conversations, laughter, debates, writing, image making and publications that involve the body and mind.
Do you want to be part of BoCA Sub21?
Participation is free.
Do you have any questions? Write to us at email@example.com
WHO CAN REGISTER: Young people between 16 and 21 years old, with or without artistic experience, coming from all areas and with varied interests, living in Lisbon or Faro.
DATES: Saturday mornings, with some exceptions where there are also afternoon sessions (lunch is provided).
02.09, 09.09, 23.09, 30.09, 07.10: 10 am to 1 pm
16.09, 14.10: 10 am to 1 pm + 2 pm to 5 pm
15.10: 2 pm to 6 pm
02.09, 09.09, 23.09, 30.09, 07.10: 10am to 1pm
16.09, 14.10: 10am to 1pm + 2pm to 5pm
LOCATION: Each group meets in its own city. In Lisbon, at the BoCA premises at Goethe Institut Portugal (Campo dos Mártires da Pátria, Lisbon). In Faro, at Fábrica da Cerveja (Rua do Castelo 10, Faro).
REGISTRATION: fill in THIS form until 15 August 2023.
Artistic coordination in Lisbon:
Artistic coordination in Faro:
Millennium BCP Foundation, Goethe Institut Lisboa
So young and already with history:
2021 – Lisbon, Almada, Faro
2020 – online (1st phase)
2019 – Lisbon (Carpentry of São Lázaro), Porto (National Museum Soares dos Reis), Braga (Arte Total)
2017 – Lisbon (Centro Nacional de Cultura)